Here we have 5 tips on how you can grow your Instagram following. There are different levels of difficulty depending on what service or tooIs you use. Instagram is a very visual medium, so it’s a good start if you have appealing and interesting visual content so you can make full use of the channel's strengths. In addition, here are some more important things to think about:
1. Make your name SEO friendly
Search engine optimization (SEO) is just as relevant on Instagram as elsewhere, and your name on Instagram is an important part of that. Therefore, be sure to include your most important keywords in your name. In this way, you’ll come up in Instagram's search function when someone searches for that word. In addition, your profile is indexed by search engines independent of Instagram, so a good name can actually drive traffic from Google to your Instagram profile. Your name can only contain 30 characters, so make sure you use them to their full potential.
2. Write relevant content with a clear Call-to-Action
- The first step is of course to have pictures and videos that attract interest and make users want to read your content. Once that happens, it is important that the user remains engaged with your content so you can form a lasting relationship with them.
- Don’t be afraid of writing from a personal point of view, as here you have the opportunity to create a sense of loyalty with visitors to your page.
- Make sure that you make it easy for them to take the next step by encouraging them with a Call-to-Action. Once you have their attention, you can ask them to comment, follow, read more of your content etc.
3. Mix up the relevance of your hashtags
- Hashtags describe your content and help users find it. It’s therefore vital that you use them correctly. The most common approach is to use the most popular hashtags in your niche area, but this means that you compete with many others using the same tags. In order to be really effective, you should use tags of various importance, from the very specific and niche, to the most popular. In this way, you can be more unique with the smaller hashtags but still have the opportunity to capture users searching for the most popular ones.
- If you work in the fashion industry for example, here are a few examples of the hierarchy of relevant hashtags:
- #fashion - 799 million mentions
- #fashionista - 100 milion mentions
- #fashionable - 34 million mentions
- #fashionstatement - 1,3 million mentions
- #fashionjeans - 92 thousand mentions
- #fashiontshirt - 48 thousand mentions
4. Alternate the hashtags you use
- You can use up to 30 hashtags but I’m not going to recommend the number that you should use as there are many conflicting theories on this. Personally however, I do think it looks bad if you use too many.
- Since you can’t use all the hashtags that may be relevant to your content in each post, you should alternate them. This will allow you to capture people who are interested in different tags with more or less the same content.
5. Read around the subject
- No one really knows how Instagram’s algorithm works, but it’s a given that it rewards interaction between users. That’s why it’s important to interact and engage with your readers in your niche area. Comment and like posts and engage in the way that Stories allow. Hopefully other accounts will respond and start to engage with you, which will bring attention to your account.
- It’s important that you don’t engage randomly but that you can stand for what you believe in, even on this medium. You shouldn’t like a post that goes against what you yourself believe in or do, as it will make people take you less seriously. That’s why it’s tricky to automate this channel even if there are services out there to do this.
Like with everything else, there are no shortcuts to instant success, but with commitment and good content, you will grow your audience on Instagram. We’re happy to help you with tips and advice!
Get in touch!